Friday, February 14, 2014

Jim Beaver: A Man of Character...they do exist! A Series of Interviews of Men I Admire

I met Jim Beaver a few years back because we were both members of Theatre West in Los Angeles. I'd written a play called The Silence of Bees and was about to make a short film out of the prologue. I needed a guy to play a troubled writer. Jim had the chops for the role and I knew he would enjoy working with my company, Into the Fire Productions, because there were some cool professionals involved in my first short film. 



At the time Jim was finishing up playing a series regular on the brilliant HBO series Deadwood. I was excited as hell. I loved that damn series. All good.  So I sent him the script, he said yes and we were off. 



Cut to a few years later. Now Jim is a regular on the TV series Supernatural and he's branching out. He's in a lot of TV shows, making his own short films. And then he gets cast in Guillermo del Toro's new film, Crimson Peak, in production now in Toronto. 



So I decided to interview him before he became a film star even though I know that after he does, he will remain accessible. Because Jim is well...Jim.

I think the interview is very thoughtful, intelligent and in depth, due mostly to Jim's responses to my questions. I like to think of this as the first in a series of "interviews of honorable men".  

It is up on Huffington Post at this link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joanna-perryfolino/interview-with-jim-beaver_b_4751476.html

It has received about 700 hits in 2 days. I attribute this to Jim's popularity and successful stints on a variety of TV shows. But more than that, perhaps, because he is a compassionate and generous man with a strong intellect. I personally like Jim because he has such respect for the written word, something all too rare these days.

So on Valentine's Day, my hat is off to Mr. Beaver and those men like him who are responsible, fair and kind. But still with a bit of the rogue about them.

My next interview will be with the brilliant playwright John Steppling, a man with an enormous intellect and a passionate sense of justice. A controversial thinker.  http://john-steppling.com/



It really doesn't get better than this. How lucky am I?



No comments:

Post a Comment